Dog Dish, Sun, Cause Of Bellevue House Fireon May 20, 2009 at 5:59 am
We all know of a child utilizing a magnifying glass and the rays of the sun to fry ants, while proud parents assume he or she is getting a jump start on entomology studies in the yard. The same principle applies here, but on a much larger scale – not for the ant of course, but by human standards.
If an accident occurred from this principle of simple science, I would expect it in the southwest, or anywhere the heat beats down at temperatures of over 100 degrees. The rainy and overcast Pacific Northwest is one of the last places I would expect to hear of this fluke proving disastrous. While many areas hear the words "scattered rain"in the weather forecast, this area might hear "sun breaks," such was the case on Sunday.
I hope those who live in very hot areas are already keeping cool drinking water a constant for their outside pets. If not, some Bellevue, WA homeowners could encourage you by their tale of woe. They were gone Sunday,and in their absence
had taken care of their dog,or so they thought. They’d left a glass bowl partially filled with water, sitting on a wire rack. Unfortunately, it was placed on a section of their wooden deck which catches a great deal of direct sunlight when it is to be had.
Even though this wasn’t what most people would consider to be a particularly hot day. The combination of the glass dish with the bit of water sitting on the wood in the sun all day caused the deck to break into spontaneous combustion, according to Lt.Keenan of the Bellevue Fire Department. I would suppose Fido had hot water before the conflagration, something for which he had no use not being a tea drinker, and in all seriousness should often be checked. Let’s hope the home owners give him a nice insulated dish in a shady area next time around.
Fortunately no one was injured including the pooch, but the house sustained approximately $215,000 damage, which I wouldn’t want to explain to the insurance adjuster, who probably thinks he’s heard it all.
Dog Dish, Sun, Cause Of Bellevue House Fire